I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! We took the opportunity to work on updating our laundry room, so it was a working holiday weekend for us, which is ok especially since I’m thrilled with how it is progressing. While it’s not finished yet, I wanted to share with you our progress.
We started out with this… a white on white on beige laundry room, it was very dull, except for my new Dash & Albert rug that is!
The attic access is in here, I had already replaced the string with an eye hook so at least the string was not hanging down annoyingly all of the time, also check out where they decided to move the first light fixture to… over the cabinets, what a brilliant idea!
The other side of the room has a fabulously HUGE folding table, but again with the wire shelving… UGH!
Our first step was to remove the upper cabinets, pretty easy, we first removed all of the doors and shelves to make them lighter, then just a few screws to remove and they were down. It made a significant difference in the feel of the room with these gone.
We decided to keep only one cabinet and we relocated it to the other side of the room where we had just removed the wire shelving and countertop.
We added a piece to the top of the cabinet in order to attach molding and we also added some beadboard planks to the side to finish it off.
We removed the sink and countertop from the base cabinets as well.
Now the fun part! Onto the V-groove planking. It’s not hard to install (see the girls’ bathroom update here for more details) just time consuming.
We primed all of the boards with Kilz to ensure that there would be no knot bleed through down the road. After priming I caulked the edges and corners before applying the final paint color.
The color we chose for the planks is Benjamin Moore Barely Teal #2048-70, it’s a very pretty pale blue (I don’t see any teal in it personally). We chose to use the Pearl finish, which is a sheen between Eggshell & Satin, it’s just perfect!
Here is where we are today. We replaced the light over the sink with a new pendant light, all of the planking is up and painted and even the ceiling got a fresh coat of paint. The cabinets I painted with a custom mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (50/50 Provence and Florence) which is a beautiful Teal color, waxed and buffed. We still need to make a final decision on the countertop here, but the sink and faucet are already here.
On this side of the room (which now feels HUGE with the countertop gone) we still need to make and install the new (narrower) countertop. Also, we are waiting on the new light fixture to come in so we can replace the old one. The light changes in here are pretty awesome I think.
We are hiring someone to install the wallpaper, I know it’s not much to do but I just don’t want to do it… so I am hoping he can get to it this week. We are using this FABULOUS Amy Butler print wallpaper. It has just a tiny bit of chartreuse which helps tie in the rug, but it has so much movement in the print I ADORE it! Since we are only wallpapering 26 inches it won’t overpower the room, but it will give help bring some fun into this room for sure!
So that’s all I have so far to share, I hope to have some more progress to share with you soon!
Thanks as always for stopping by…
Until next time!