The Evolution of a Chair
I am doing something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time… I’m taking an upholstery class… I’m very excited to learn how to upholster the “proper” way!
This is the chair I decided to update first… Lots of tufting should give me plenty of practice!
Check out the cool arms on this chair!
I removed all of the old fabric and saved it to use as a template for the new fabric. I then sanded down some of the rough areas on the chair and stained those areas in order to have continuity once I distressed it.
I painted a base coat of ASCP French Linen then a quick coat of a custom mix of Old Ochre and Country Grey (1:3), which turned out to be a very pretty “bone” color… if bones can be called pretty…
I lightly distressed it to reveal both the French Linen and the stained wood, waxed it with Minwax paste wax then buffed it with a combination 0000 steel wool and a soft cloth.
I made like a million buttons (ok, so it was only 35) but I used their button maker and WOW is all I can say!! If I ever get to the point where I am making a lot of buttons I will want one of these! It took me less than 30 minutes to make all of the buttons and they are ALL perfect! If you have ever made buttons with the cheap little set you get at the store you will understand how fast that is!
Here’s a picture of my button maker!
This is a picture of the back of the chair… my first tufting job EVER! I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out…
It took me the entire class (3 hours) to complete the tufting on the seat cushion and partially attach it to the chair seat, but I’m very happy with the results so far… my teacher is a great (and thankfully) very patient man
It really takes a lot of time to regulate the folds and learning how to staple the fabric to the frame appropriately has been a little challenging for me, but I am improving…
I hot glued the piping on after I trimmed all of the excess fabric… and she’s all done!
I was planning on selling it… but not now… she’s all mine!!! Yay!
The seat came out better than the back, but I’m very happy with the overall final look of the whole chair!
It now has a permanent residence in our bedroom… where I get to admire it everyday!
If you are ever interested in trying to do this yourself I’m sure there is a class in your area and I would highly recommend taking it… They provided all of the materials (except for the fabric) and the class size was kept pretty small.
Thanks for stopping by…
Until next time!
Linking up to these great parties!
Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, The Dedicated House, A Stroll Thru Life, Elizabeth & Co., Primitive & Proper, The Ivy Cottage Blog, Domestically Speaking, Savvy Southern Style, Miss Mustard Seed
Posted on November 25, 2012, in Furniture refinishing and tagged Annie Sloan chalk paint, ASCP, chair upholster, Custom ASCP color, French Chair, French Linen, French script fabric chair, tufing a chair, tufted french chair, tufting a chair, Upholstering a chair. Bookmark the permalink. 58 Comments.