A Set of French Provincial Armchairs

I bought this set of four French Provincial style armchairs at the end of last summer, so yes it HAS taken me a while to get to them! I knew I wanted to treat them as two separate sets so that I could refinish each set differently.

Last summer I forced asked my middle daughter (16) to help me by removing the old fabric and staples… there were a LOT of staples but she watched TV in the cool basement while she was doing it so she wasn’t too terribly upset… honestly I think she was just happy she didn’t have to help me sand or paint in the hot garage!



After all of the staples were removed I sprayed two of the chairs with flat black spray paint, one coat, then I distressed the chairs with 220 grit sandpaper, waxed and buffed them to give them that rubbed through look… a very quick update.

I refinished these two chairs as part of my upholstery class where I also refinished the French Script chair… I did some of the work at home and some of it in class so that I could make sure I could get them both done!

I chose this beautiful dark navy blue velvet fabric for the chairs… the fabric looks more blue in the pictures than it does in person, it is so blue it almost looks black. I made double welt piping for the first time, it was a little time consuming but I like the way it finished the chairs.


Painted French armchair

I love the lines of these chairs and how the original wood finish peeks through the black paint.

Painted French armchair

The finish on the chairs have a nice hand rubbed look…

Painted French armchair blue velvet fabric

One of my favorite parts… the back! I upholstered both backs of these chairs with this fabulous French script fabric, the script is navy blue with a red seal stamped across the script.

French script fabric French armchair

I think the coordinating fabric was the perfect finishing touch for these chairs!

Upholstered French armchairs

The four chairs were originally used as dining chairs, but I see them more as armchairs for the living room or bedroom… which is why I am treating the sets differently. This is not to say they wouldn’t look great as chairs in the dining room…

I hope you like them as much as I do, they were a labor of love and I lost quite a bit of skin from my fingers hot gluing that double piping down… YIKES!

I still have the other two to get to, I have the fabric… now I just need to make the time!

Thanks for stopping by…

Until next time!

My Signature

Linking to these parties!
Between Naps on the Porch, The Dedicated House, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Elizabeth & Co., Savvy Southern Style, Domestically Speaking, From My Front Porch to Yours

Alternative Name

The Evolution of a Chair

I am doing something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time… I’m taking an upholstery class… I’m very excited to learn how to upholster the “proper” way!

This is the chair I decided to update first… Lots of tufting should give me plenty of practice!


Check out the cool arms on this chair!

I removed all of the old fabric and saved it to use as a template for the new fabric. I then sanded down some of the rough areas on the chair and stained those areas in order to have continuity once I distressed it.


I painted a base coat of ASCP French Linen then a quick coat of a custom mix of Old Ochre and Country Grey (1:3), which turned out to be a very pretty “bone” color… if bones can be called pretty…

I lightly distressed it to reveal both the French Linen and the stained wood, waxed it with Minwax paste wax then buffed it with a combination 0000 steel wool and a soft cloth.

I made like a million buttons (ok, so it was only 35) but I used their button maker and WOW is all I can say!! If I ever get to the point where I am making a lot of buttons I will want one of these! It took me less than 30 minutes to make all of the buttons and they are ALL perfect! If you have ever made buttons with the cheap little set you get at the store you will understand how fast that is!

Here’s a picture of my button maker!

This is a picture of the back of the chair… my first tufting job EVER! I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out…

It took me the entire class (3 hours) to complete the tufting on the seat cushion and partially attach it to the chair seat, but I’m very happy with the results so far… my teacher is a great (and thankfully) very patient man Laughing out loud

It really takes a lot of time to regulate the folds and learning how to staple the fabric to the frame appropriately has been a little challenging for me, but I am improving…

I hot glued the piping on after I trimmed all of the excess fabric… and she’s all done!


I was planning on selling it… but not now… she’s all mine!!! Yay!


The seat came out better than the back, but I’m very happy with the overall final look of the whole chair!


It now has a permanent residence in our bedroom… where I get to admire it everyday!


If you are ever interested in trying to do this yourself I’m sure there is a class in your area and I would highly recommend taking it… They provided all of the materials (except for the fabric) and the class size was kept pretty small.

Thanks for stopping by…

Until next time!

My Signature

Linking up to these great parties!

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, The Dedicated House, A Stroll Thru Life, Elizabeth & Co., Primitive & Proper, The Ivy Cottage Blog, Domestically Speaking, Savvy Southern Style, Miss Mustard Seed

, Redoux Interiors

Domestically Speaking The Dedicated House

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: