This was such a fun project for me! I purchased a case of these plates from Behrenberg Glass Company… they are “seconds” which means they will have bubbles or waves in them. As they are hand blown I thought I would much rather have them with the “imperfections” then without… The plates started out as just plain glass, they have a buffed edge and a slight curve around the edges as well…
I used my Silhouette to cut out the shapes, making sure to reverse the image if necessary, but you can create your own shapes using tape or contact paper.
- Clean the plate VERY good & apply the vinyl to the back, it got a little tricky near the edges with the all over pattern because the plate is not flat.
- Spray the plates with Krylon Looking Glass spray, 3 light coats, this stuff is great… you can really see your image in it. I found mine at Hobby Lobby.
- After the paint is dry remove the vinyl.
- “Age” the mirrored surface by spraying ammonia on the paint and blotting with a paper towel until you are happy with the results, this takes a little practice and it is NOT meant to look perfect so each item will be unique!
- Spray the back of the plates with a spray paint color of your choice, 2 coats should do it.
- Use craft glue to attach a piece of craft felt to the back of the plate
- Once the glue is dry trim the felt with a sharp pair of scissors & you are done!
Use can also use cork or felt “feet” for the plates, I have done it both ways but prefer the felt to cover the entire bottom of the plate.
This is an inexpensive vase I received with some flowers, I love the imperfect look of this! What a nice way to recycle some of those vases you are holding on to! I use the same process as above on this. I do not use it as a vase for flowers anymore, but as more of a decorative item.
This set shows how nice the true “aged” mirror effect works!
Another set of plates, just different shapes…
So if you have some glass plates or vases sitting around not being used why not try this out for yourself? They are great hostess gifts! My oldest daughter took two for her college roommates as they would be great as a catch all for keys, jewelry etc!
Thanks for stopping by and checking them out… would love to hear what you think about them!
Until next time…