So I am TOTALLY ridiculous! It’s taken me forever to get this together, not because it took forever to do but because we were working on 4 projects in the kitchen at once and it’s been a little messy for a while. I finally got it all together to share with you, so glad you weren’t holding your breath waiting for it… jesh…
I shared with you a while ago (in this post seen here) my progress on updating the kitchen island (you may want to check it out to see more detailed steps of the process). Again, it wasn’t very difficult, I just had a lot of downtime in between coats of paint waiting for it to dry… I wanted a nice smooth non-distressed finish on this island which is why I chose to use Benjamin Moore Advance paint instead of a clay or clay and chalk based paint. I am super happy with the end result!
To refresh your memory this is what we started with, well sort of, I had already removed some moldings before I remembered to take a photo but you should get the general idea…
Here again, missing some pieces but you get the point right?
Here is where we are now! Which also includes new pendant lights, sink, faucet, backsplash, under cabinet lighting & wall paint.
We also changed out the electrical outlet from white to black so it would be less of a contrast.
After painting the cabinets my SAH and I cut thin wood strips to fit inside the boxes. We cut a point at the tip of each one in order to fit into the corners, they are not perfect but I did the best I could…
One of the wood strips was cut to fit around the other so that there was no overlap where they meet in the middle. We labeled each one on the back (very important since they were all a little different) and then I spray painted them and the center wood appliques satin black.
I attached the wood strips to the cabinets with Loctite and held them in place with blue tape for 24 hours to ensure that they adhered properly. I then nailed the medallions onto the center of the strips.
The picture below the closest representation of the cabinet color. I needed enough light in the kitchen to take the pictures but when I looked at them afterwards the cabinet color looks navy blue in the pictures … it’s not… it’s a super dark gray or soft black.
I bought new pulls for the large, heavy center drawers.
We used knobs we already had on hand for the other drawers and doors. I seriously have used and removed these knobs from our last two homes I love them so much… and no I didn’t take them after I sold the house, I replaced them before I even listed the house… what kind of person do you think I am?
So even though we finished the island I still have to tackle the rest of the cabinets. That project is going on the way back burner, but I think I want to spray the doors so I may need to get it done by the Fall.
I hope you dig my newly updated island as much as I do, because I’m telling you it looks WAY better than it did! I’m working on editing the rest of the kitchen photos to show you more of the projects we completed in there.
HEY! Don’t be a stranger and come back soon! I’d love to hear what you think about the update!
Linking up to these parties!
The Dedicated House, Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, Elizabeth & Co., Savvy Southern Style, Domestically Speaking, From My Front Porch to Yours, Funky Junk Interiors, French Country Cottage, My Romantic Home, Redoux Interiors