So let me tell you about what it looked like before.. The table was finished in a light maple stain and it had no defects other than a few light surface scratches… so other then being outdated it was in great shape and it even had a leaf!!!
I bought the table for my oldest daughter, who will be living off campus next year as a Sophomore at Radford University, I didn’t think about the fact that most of the apartments wouldn’t have any dining rooms… Where will they eat all of those gourmet meals they will be preparing ? I was so excited about being able to contribute to her first apartment… all I had for my first apartment was my bed, a dresser and a bean bag chair.. no joke!
So the table is not a keeper… It turned out to be a custom paint job for a client who had some chairs, but no table so it all worked out in the end. My Aunt helped me out on this project and together we stripped, sanded and applied 3 coats of Special Walnut stain to the top. The base we painted with two coats of Duck Egg chalk paint, lightly distressed, waxed with Provence tinted wax and then buffed it. I decided to wax the top as well, so two coats of wax and a good buffing and the table was done. I really love the way a table top looks when it is waxed. Also, it is so easy to care for if something should happen to it… perfect for families with kids!
Just a tiny bit of distressing…
No Weimaraner’s were harmed during this photo shoot, so don’t let him tell you otherwise! He just likes to sleep in the sunshine… cutie!
Just check out her Cabriole legs!
Now this sounds like it was an easy project, but I had a ton of problems with the stripper. I used Citristrip, which I have used before, but something went wrong and I’m not sure what happened. First of all the stripper never really dried and was the consistency of mucus when I went to remove it… HUGE, nasty mess! Then when I went to wipe it down with mineral spirits I just couldn’t get everything off of the surface and every time I started to sand the top the sandpaper got all gunked up with crud that I couldn’t see on the table, but it was obviously there…. So I let the table top dry out for a couple of days and hand sanded the top for the first pass, then used the electric sander with 220 grit paper. Now this same problem occurred with two other table tops I was stripping the same day! Ugh! I would rather sand than use stripper… it’s a preference thing for me… so if you are reading my posts you will now know why I’m just sanding away at a top, it’s actually one of my favorite things to do when I’m refinishing a piece… just sayin’!
I’d love to hear what you think so why not leave a comment!
Thanks for stopping by!
Parties I’m Linking Up To!
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy
Miss Mustard Seed
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage
Chic on a Shoestring
Funky Junk Interiors
Sisters of the Wild West
Between Naps on the Porch
Primitive and Proper
Savvy Southern Style