Roughed Up Nightstand
I hope you all are enjoying a little taste of Spring! I have some unknown plants starting to breakthrough the mulch and I’m excited to see what they will be..
First let me admit to you that I wasn’t planning on refinishing this, but I couldn’t sell it as is (trust me I tried)… I guess no one but me would be
stupid crazy enough to tackle this mess! Let me show you what I mean…
So the piece doesn’t look too bad in this picture right? Nice nightstand, good lines, what’s not to like?
OK, so the top is a little roughed up, why is that so scary? Can you see all of the craters divots?
This is what it looked like under the paint. I used my orbital sander, with 60 grit paper, to remove the super thick paint and this is what it revealed… clearly someone had removed the veneer from the top of this nightstand and really hacked away at it (it was not my Hubby I promise)! The white areas are holes that they filled (and not well) with something…
Seriously! Why would you go through the trouble of filling the holes but not fill the holes all the way?! This is why the top looked so bad! They must have just gotten fed up with it…
I filled all of the gouges with my favorite product for hardcore filling and repairs. It’s a two part product, Minwax High Performance Wood Filler, and let me tell you it is fabulous to work with… it’s a little stinky and you DON”T want to get it on your hands, but with it I can fill deep holes easily and it also helps rebuild missing parts like “magic”!
After I filled the holes I sanded the top down starting with 100 grit and finishing with 150. I only finish to 150 when I am painting a piece, had I been staining this I would have finished with 220 but obviously staining wasn’t an option. I also added this little wood piece to the back where the original piece was missing… nothing fancy but it gets the job done.
I primed the top with a white primer then painted the entire nightstand in Provence Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I also lightly distressed, waxed and buffed the piece. The drawer front was in good enough shape to stain so I stained it dark walnut, waxed it with clear wax and buffed it…
Here it is now in it’s new home!
Just look at how nicely the drawer front turned out!
You can’t see any indentions or problems with the top at all…
I’m glad now that no one wanted this because I needed another nightstand for my daughter’s room and this worked out perfectly!
Thanks for stopping by… hope you come back again soon!
Until next time…
Posted on March 18, 2014, in Furniture and tagged Annie Sloan chalk paint, ASCP, blue nightstand, DIY repairing furniture, fix gouges in furniture, how to refinish furniture, Painted nightstand, provence chalk paint, Waxing furniture. Bookmark the permalink. 16 Comments.